Sunday, May 1, 2011

Is it May already?

 

Golden Apple Award Goes to Rosa Parks Elementary Teacher

Thought of the week: May 1st

I can't believe how fast this school year has flown by...I just love my students this year (ok, and every year) and May usually means that it is not long until they become second graders. It is such a bittersweet moment for all of us, they are growing up and moving on to their new classroom and to new adventures in learning.

I was presented the Golden Apple Award in January of this school year. It was such a special moment when the news crew came into my classroom, not only for me, but for my kiddos! The students were thrilled and they did their best to be ON the news during the taping. Just imagine 27 first graders competing for video camera time. :) I can't believe this is our last full month of the school year!

Posted: Jan 20, 2011 2:32 PM CST Updated: Jan 25, 2011 9:19 AM CST
When this week's Golden Apple Award winner steps into her first grade classroom, she sees more than a group of students. She sees each child as someone unique...News 12s Lisa Cownie introduces us to Karen Hosier...

Karen Hosier has been teaching for 15 years. Each year keeps getting better she says because each day is different...Karen Hosier says, " I think this is the best job in the world. I just feel so blessed that parents trust me with their children to teach them the things they need to be successful in life."She is so successful because she recognizes each student has their own definition of success. Hosier says, "You see how everyone is unique and can achieve in so many different ways."Learning, whether from a book or just through social interaction, is evident in this Rosa Parks Elementary classroom, but Ms. Hosier says it goes both ways. Hosier says, "I think I learn so much from them and they teach me so many things.

Congratulations Karen Hosier, this week's Golden Apple Award winner.

Thanks KEYC-Mankato and to the wonderful parents who nominated me...I am truly blessed!

That last day of school is so very difficult. I remember when I started as a first year teacher, I cried so hard on that last day of school. A staff member in California told me, "Don't worry, after a few years you will not cry anyone on that last day." There has not been a year when I have not cried on that last day of school with my wonderful students. I think if I ever get to that point  then I really need to retire...

Summer is just around the corner, you would not know it considering the weather. It was 35 degrees outside, yippee, this morning when I went to coffee with the girls. I hope it warms up soon so everyone can stop complaining about our terrible weather. I figure I cannot ever complain since I have chosen to live in a state with sunny weather occurring typically only for three months out of twelve.

This summer will be filled with a trip very soon to Chi-town for some wonderful work and to spend some quality time with my Dahl~that will be just a "little" fun! I predict that Chi-town will be full of  RITAs and a trip to Burritoville! I also hope to spend a lot of time in Madison with my sista, perhaps in her new place! I am thrilled to have an opportunity to tour the UW Campus with my campus BIG WIG. I am thinking of checking out some of the WI programs...hmm...Other highlights of the summer include many birthdays~mumma kitty, daddy-0, and first for Matthew~, a trip to Grey Eagle to play with many friends, and some work for the Minnesota Department of Education. The MNDE work will be exciting and a wonderful way to help our state, students, and teachers. Go MCAS, right? :)

I wonder what other mischief I will manage to fit into summer of 2011? So far I am thinking...

1) I have two new and very fashionable gardening hats for implementation.
2) My relationship status could improve greatly...:)
3) I may finally finish my Reading Teacher article and submit it for publication.
4) There are plenty of books on my reading list that are for the moment, unread...
5) I need to be on "Yarn Hoarders" if I don't do a lot of knitting this summer.
6) My chair at The Fillin Station is waiting for me. Ah, it is so comfy...


Educational and doggie funnies...





No comments:

Post a Comment